Private Foray Experience – Wild Mushrooms
Forage for Wild Mushrooms at the Hotel Telluride
August 1 to August 31, 2017
Sitting at an elevation of 8,750 feet in Southwest Colorado and nestled among the highest concentration of 13,000- and 14,000-foot peaks in North America, Telluride, Colorado, is renowned for some of the country’s most incredible terrain for skiing, snowboarding, and hiking. But in late summer, Colorado’s San Juan Mountains also boast some of the best areas in the Rockies for foraging wild mushrooms.
The Hotel Telluride, a 59-room luxury boutique stay located in the heart of the town, has launched a new a exclusive alpine mycology experience—the Mountains & Morels package, available from August 1 to August 31, 2017—that includes a private, guided mushroom foray experience.
Colorado is home to 2,000 to 3,000 mushroom varieties and has the second-largest concentration in the country, after the Pacific Northwest. The Hotel Telluride General Manager and local resident, Julie Hemann, has been foraging mushrooms in the Telluride area for more than 10 years and is familiar with the variety of local mushrooms, as well as the best places to find wild mushrooms in and around Telluride.
Throughout August—Southwest Colorado’s prime mushroom season—Hemann and a guide will take guests on half-day adventures to forage for an array of indigenous mushrooms, including Chanterelle, Morels and King Bolete. These forays will take guests high into the San Juan Mountains to areas close to Lizard Head Pass and Dunton; exact locations are kept secret.
THE HOTEL TELLURIDE’S EXCLUSIVE MOUNTAINS & MORELS PACKAGE:
Available August 1-31, 2017
- Three-night stay in one of The Hotel Telluride’s Elite View rooms (King or Double)
- Daily breakfast for two
- Mycology Amenity: includes a mushroom collection basket, a mushroom cutting knife, and a book on San Juan Colorado-area mushrooms
- Private transfer to/from The Hotel Telluride and Lizard Head Pass and/or Dunton
- Private guided mushroom foray with Julie Hemann and a guide, with a packed lunch
- Private three-course gourmet dinner with harvested mushrooms and wine pairing at The Hotel Telluride
- Price: starts from $1,699
The Mountains & Morels package will also be available over the weekend of the 37th Annual Telluride Mushroom Festival (August 17-20, 2017), which attracts mycophiles from around the country and celebrates all things fungi. The weekend offers seminars, lectures, demos, workshops, and daily mushroom forays.