Major Advantages of Telluride

Benefits of Telluride - Telluride Mountains

Benefits of Telluride

– Authentic western gold & silver mining town largely intact and one of just a few National Historic Landmark District’s in the USA
– World-class ski resort in operation since 1972 and offering a variety of beginner, intermediate, advanced and expert terrain with rarely any lift lines.
– Consistently rates as one of the top if not the best ski town and resort in America by various readers and publications.
– Remoteness – the closest traffic light is 40 miles away and the closest cities are 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours away yet there are several nonstop commercial jet flights into the local airport from Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Phoenix, Denver, San Francisco, Atlanta and Newark.
– Small town setting – Telluride is six blocks wide by about 15 blocks long with a year-round population of about 2,500 people. The county population is about 8,500 people and San Miguel County is one of the least populated in the state of Colorado.
– Open space – About 66% of all land in San Miguel County is open space and the remaining 34% is in a handful of subdivisions with some of the development forever limited through land conservation easements which eliminate or significantly reduce density. This creates strong demand and limited supply for Telluride Real Estate.
– An innovative gondola transportation system connecting the towns of Telluride and Mountain Village and the ski mountain. It takes less time to ride the gondola than to drive between the two towns.
– No urban sprawl – Because of the topography and box canyon surrounded by National Forest along with the creation of open space along the valley floor west of town, there will never be a sprawl of cookie cutter malls and buildings. The quaint nature is preserved forever.
– Natural attractions – Telluride is blessed to be amid a vast array of amazing natural activities such as skiing, hiking, biking, fishing, rafting, climbing, ice skating, horseback riding, four wheeling, camping and more. The area is also within a day’s drive to several National Parks and Monuments including Black Canyon, Mesa Verde, Arches, Canyonlands, Canyon De Chelly, Grand Cranyon, Bryce, Zion, Hovenweep and Dinosaur. There are also several other natural attractions and towns nearby including Silverton, Durango, Santa Fe and Lake Powell.
– Telluride’s festivals are second to none and have been around far longer than most others in the Rocky Mountains and beyond. They include three film festivals (different genres), several music festivals (Bluegrass, Jazz, Rock, Blues) and several other top notch festivals that keep the calendar of events overflowing with options throughout the year.
– Strong school system – The Telluride School District has consistently been rated a top school district in the state of Colorado for several years and personnel from the school system have been bestowed top state honors for best Teacher of the Year, Librarian of the Year, Athletic Director of the Year and Superintendent of the Year. In addition, the town’s library was recently voted a five-star quality designation – just one of three in Colorado by a national library association.
– Dramatic scenery – Telluride is situated in a remarkable and unusual natural setting, surrounded by the largest concentration of 14,000-foot mountains in North America and numerous waterfalls including Colorado’s longest waterfall at 365 feet.



Connect With Us on Social!

Let Us Help You Find Your Dream Home

Related Posts

Aerial summer exterior of 18390 CO145, Dolores real estate listing, including building, large paved patio area and river beyond.

Just Listed: 18390 Co-145, Dolores

This unique riverfront property in Dolores, Colorado boasts 19,000+ square feet of improvements on 2.72 acres with ~200 feet of river frontage. Situated directly on the well-traveled Scenic San Juan Sky Way, on the banks of the Dolores river, this property benefits from easy paved access and excellent exposure.

Sunny, exterior view of real estate listing 135 Marmot Way Ophir (Trout Lake), with decks, forest and blue skies

Just Listed: 135 Marmot Way, Ophir (Trout Lake)

This recently remodeled Trout Lake, Colorado haven borders an old-growth conifer forest, while majestic alpine peaks and the sparkling Trout Lake lie just beyond. Nestled within walking distance of the lake, this dream retreat offers nearly 2,800 sf of inviting living space.

Summer aerial view of Rico, Colorado real estate listing 15322 Road 55.9 with two homes on wooded property.

Just Listed: 15322 Road 55.9, Rico, CO

This Rico, Colorado property boasts 3+ acres with mature Aspen and Spruce trees supports and 3 structures to fuel your outdoor passions: an energy-efficient home w/sizeable decks and expansive windows, a garage/shop with a studio, full bath and oversized carport, and a whimsical 2022 yurt ideal for guests or workouts.

Have a Question?

We'd Love to Help

Shimkonis Partners